Of all the reasons that patients lose their teeth in Florence, SC tooth decay is near the top of that list. It’s the second most common disease outside of the common cold, and can do much damage. Some patients, especially those who are afraid of the dentist, believe that the problem can go away on its own with some brushing and flossing, but this is not the case. At Advanced Dental Center of Florence, let us help you alleviate your fears with sedation dentistry so you can receive the care you need.
What is Tooth Decay?
The common belief is that tooth decay is directly caused by sugar, but it’s not true. Sugar does contribute to the problem, but the real issue lies with bacteria that reside in your mouth. After a meal, these bacteria consume what’s left of food particles, including carbohydrates and sugars. As they consume, they dispense waste in the form of acid that builds up into plaque. The plaque eats away at the enamel slowly, resulting in tooth decay over time.
Here are the warning signs that you may have tooth decay:
- Toothaches or tooth sensitivity
- Pain while chewing or biting
- Brown, black, or other stains on the tooth surface
- Holes or pits in your teeth
- Sharp pain when consuming hot or cold food or drinks
What Happens If I Leave Tooth Decay Alone?
Tooth decay occurs due to poor oral health, and one of the reasons may be patients avoiding their dental visits due to dental anxiety. Have you ever felt nervous when walking by an obvious? Do your hands get clammy at the sound of a dental drill? Does the thought of sitting in a chair having your smile worked on give you chills? You’re not alone, but it’s still important that you maintain a healthy smile. Here’s why:
- Studies have shown that diseases in the mouth can travel to and affect other parts of the body. If you go to the doctor for a bodily health issue, most likely they will check the mouth for signs of decay or periodontal disease at the same time.
- Neglecting your tooth decay can lead to tooth loss and jawbone depletion. As your jawbone depletes, it could spiral into even more tooth loss.
- A poorly kept smile can look off-putting to people you come in contact with.
- Putting off important dental procedures until later can become more expensive and more time-consuming the longer you wait to get them done.
How Sedation Dentistry Can Help
Are your teeth suffering from tooth decay and you’re at a loss at what to do? Are you afraid of the dentist or dental treatments, but know that you need help? We’re here to assist you at Advanced Dental Center of Florence with our unique sedation dentistry.
Sedation dentistry involves a mild sedation, administered via pills, that allows the patient to reach a deep state of relaxation. This does NOT mean that the patient falls asleep or is rendered unconscious. Rather, we employ conscious sedation methods that induce a calming feeling, but with the patient still able to communicate with us and our dentists.
Oral conscious sedation takes the form of pills that are consumed a few hours or the night before your treatment. By the time you reach our office, you’ll feel relaxed and ready for your procedure.
Quality Dental Care in Florence, SC
Got tooth decay, but afraid of visiting the dentist in Florence, SC? At Advanced Dental Center of Florence, we have the sedation dentistry you need to alleviate those fears and get the treatments you need. Don’t let tooth decay ruin your smile! Contact us today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Griffin or another of our sedation certified dentists. We proudly serve patients from Florence, SC and the surrounding areas.